Thursday, March 16, 2006

PRE-EXAM HALLUCINATIONS...

Twas night…
Midnight….
Passed midnight…..
Um…and passed that as well…

I gazed at the pages filled with historical information, which would make me more knowledgeable and improve my IQ…or maybe, just make me pass ICSE History.

My nocturnal companions had abandoned me that night. They were silent…maybe even asleep…
As I though that I was the only distressed soul awake at this hour of the night, I was proved wrong, as soft dragging footsteps drifted across from the other side of the closed door of my silent room.

Before I could make a move, the door opened soundlessly, and there he stood, sparkling from head to bare feet in those slumberous golden grains……THE SANDMAN!!

A hunched up old man with a long sandy beard and an abnormally long nose, he stood before me wearing a ragged shirt and a sarong that reached midway his shin.

I almost mistook him for my grandfather at first…
But he, unlike Dadu, was covered in glittering gold sand-dust, as he stood there before me, his face expressionless, his feet…exceptionally clean.

And then it started…..the slow mourning music that had a hypnotizing effect on my already affected brain (due to studying history that is..).
The music seemed to be inside me, my body seemed to be its source. The room started to spin; it was as if I was high on it…

Say your prayers little one

Don’t forget, my son
To include everyone

Tuck you in, warm within
Keep you free from sin
Till the sandman he comes

Sleep with one eye open
Gripping your pillow tight

Exit light
Enter night
Take my hand
Off to never never land

Something’s wrong, shut the light
Heavy thoughts tonight

And they aren’t of snow white

Dreams of war, dreams of liars
Dreams of dragon’s fire
And of things that will bite

Sleep with one eye open
Gripping your pillow tight

Exit light
Enter night
Take my hand
Off to never never land

Now I lay me down to sleep
Pray the lord my soul to keep
If I die before I wake
Pray the lord my soul to take

Hush little baby, don’t say a word
And never mind that noise you heard
It’s just the beast under your bed,
In your closet, in your head

Exit light
Enter night
Grain of sand
Exit light
Enter night
Take my hand
We’re off to never never land” ………..

The Sandman went around me in circles, slowly, dragging his clean feet, dancing his enchanting dance……..dancing…and dancing …..and dancing….

Right when I was thinking to myself that :
1) I’d have to watch an old man dance for the rest of the night and,
2) If my parents, on their way to the bathroom, would witness this scene, they’d probably think:
· I’d hired an old stripper AND/OR
· My grandfather had finally lost it……
The Sandman stopped dancing and looked at me with eyes of the deepest red (due to lack of sleep considering his age cause he has to go all over the world putting people to sleep).
He reached inside a pocket and pulled out a small, golden, silk sack. He untied it and took out the sand and approached me slowly, dragging his feet (still clean!)……
One step-two step…..one step-two step….one step-two step…..

And then slowly, efficiently and mercilessly he sprinkled the tiny grains of sand onto my eyelids. I fought hard to keep them open( I still had about seven chapters to complete!!!), but it was of no use. My eyelids got heavier and heavier and I could no longer keep them open…and then………the whole world went BLACK….

I woke up to the twittering sound of birds and bees……and then what do u think happened??
What else?…I went to school and screwed up my history exam.


















7 comments:

Unknown said...

oh yeah i heard this whne i called u at around 3 am screaming "I DONT KNOW ANYTHING".

Anonymous said...

i want to eat al kabeers onion paratha NOW NOW NOW! but i still loved ur dream.... in this case i wouldnt hav had the time to dream... i would hav jus slept! love the way ur write grIrL!

sayantoni said...

love the flow of words that are put into places that are so correct.. nice.. very nice..
am i not sounding like deary old robi thakur!! dear god!

Unknown said...

IT WAS NOT A DREAM!!! IT WAS REAL!!

Anonymous said...

my idea of mr sandman was a short stiff egg head guy with a black suit and this one confuses me but i just realized that its my pic that's wrong here...

Anonymous said...

The sandman's suppossed to have dogs(St.Bernards I hope!) swarming around him.

Anonymous said...

nice
good post
especially the metallica song